It’s getting ridiculous really. No, I am not talking about the play on the field this year in college football, although, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Wisconsin are clearly, so far, the best teams in the country. I am talking about conference realignment and the BCS. Really? A merger between the Mountain West and the Conference USA bringing a total to 22 teams for a football-only league?
Now, there is a realignment watch as we all have to keep up with who is inviting whom (or is whom is inviting who) to what conference and where teams will be playing next year. Is this whole BCS thing an anti-trust issue? That may be as ridiculous, but it is obviously an I-am-close-to-souring-over-college-football thing!
I have been a proponent, and I have said it before, that I think we should go to a playoff. What we are creating is a mad dash to play musical chairs so that teams could be in a conference who is allowed to play at the big table once the music stops. Essentially, as if it wasn’t enough before, we are heading down to a more pronounced version of the haves and have-nots as Dan Wetzel put it back in September.
The Big 12 nearly died last month. They fired their commissioner to save it. It’s time to stop this madness and have a playoff to determine the national champion in the Bowl Championship Subdivision!
I’ve said my peace. Now to move on.
1. Alabama–I think they should just go ahead and award Trent Richardson the Heisman Trophy. He will hurt your team in multiple ways.
1.5. LSU–This Tiger team is out to prove everyone wrong, including me! They keep winning and winning big. The showdown in Tuscaloosa is looming on November 5th.
2.5 Oklahoma–The Sooners are by far the class of the Big 12.
4. Wisconsin–This week is the Badgers’ biggest challenge to date, trying to score on the Michigan State defense. Russell Wilson has this.
5. Oklahoma State–The Cowboys took it to Texas early in Austin, but let the Longhorns back in the game. It looked a little different than when the Horns played Oklahoma. They are at Columbia this week to play Missouri in a potential trap game.
6. Stanford–The Cardinal keep winning. The get a surging Washington team at home this week.
7. Boise State–What can I say? I really think that the Broncos are good, but weaker competition makes it hard to gauge. It also hurts a team from getting better. The Big 12 should do the right thing and invite Boise in now.
8. Clemson–The Tigers survived a good Maryland team on the road. Clemson hasn’t played too many teams on the road yet, but they get their chance the rest of the season playing at Georgia Tech, at North Carolina State and at South Carolina. They really have a chance to show this team is different.
9. Arkansas–The Razorbacks probably got better during their bye week. They have their backs and receivers healthy, but they are still missing DE Tenarius Wright. The Hogs travel to Oxford to play Ole Miss in a game that fans will always point to.
10. Kansas State–As long as Bill Snyder is coaching the Wildcats, anything is possible. Snyder is the original Big 12 magician, and these guys are dangerous. After Kansas in the Border Rivalry this week, they get Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M back-to-back-to-back, but they get before finishing with Iowa State and Texas. They have a long way to go, but this team looks seasoned.